Tuesday, October 12, 2010

The BEST Apple Pie Recipe in the WORLD

We made apple pie today.

I thought I'd share the recipe because it really is the best apple pie recipe in the world.

Really, it is.

Here we go!

Note: I make two pies with the recipe.  If you like deep dish pies, keep the dough in one ball instead of two when refrigerating, and then follow the rest of the recipe.

Pie Crust
5 cups flour
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups butter
1 cup ice water (I put a cup of water in the fridge while I'm preparing the apples)
1 beaten egg
2 tsp granulated sugar
Two 8 inch pie plate or one deep dish pie plate

Apple Filling
3.5 pounds apples
1/4 cup butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
3 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp salt

Filling instructions:
Peel, core and thinly slice apples.  In a separate bowl mix the brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt.  Add to apples and toss.  Set aside.

Crust Instructions:

Mix flour, sugar and salt together.  Add butter. Cut with a fork or pastry cutter until the mixture forms pea sized crumbs.

Sprinkle with ice water and combine with a fork.

Shape dough in to two balls, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 20 minutes.

Go clean the mess in your kitchen while you wait. And start preheating the oven to 350C.

Once chilled, split each ball of dough in two. Make one of each pair slightly larger than the other (you need more dough for to fit in the pie plate than you do the for the pie top)

Roll out the larger ball for the bottom of the pie. It should leave at least two inches around your pie plate so you have enough to sink to the bottom and properly edge the top.

Place it in pie plate and fill with apples using a slotted spoon so you keep the juices in the bowl. Cube the 1/4 cup butter, and place the cubes in with the apples where ever there is a hole, dividing the cubes evenly between the two pies.

Roll out the pie crust tops and place on pies.  Edge with a fork to help the two layers stick together.

Cut off excess dough.

 Brush with beaten egg and sprinkle with sugar (I had to use brown sugar because I didn't have any granulated sugar left).

Slice vent holes in the pies, place in middle rack of oven and bake for 75 minutes or until apples are soft when pierced and crust has is lightly browned. Mine actually got a little bit too dark because the kids side tracked me from checking on it regularly. It also looks so dark because I used brown sugar instead of white.  You'll have a much nicer pie in the end.


Photobucket


Enjoy!!!  I have detailed pictures of the whole process if you need more clarification.  I had them in the entry, but it looked too busy so I took them out.  Let me know if you'd like to see them.

Marina

2 comments:

  1. Would you believe I baked an apple pie for the first time in my life the other day? It's the first time I've actually ever baked any kind of pie. I've made refrigerator pies, and I can bake the fool out of cakes, cookies, bread, brownies, almost anything else you can think of, but I've just never made a pie. It was fabulous, it was a caramel apple pie. Soooooo good! Poor Matthew was devastated though, I made it after he went to bed, he got up the next morning so excited to have a piece of pie and he HATED it. I think it was the mushy apples, but he just freaked out. He took one bite, spit it back out and wouldn't even try any more. He was so upset. :-(

    ReplyDelete