Say you just found out people are coming over.
And say that your house is a mess.
And say that you are embarrassed at the state of your house and you don't want people to see what your house really looks like.
(This is all hypothetical, of course, because my house is always immaculate)
Here are five things you can do to make your house look tidy.
1. Fluff the couch cushions, straighten them, flip them if needed.
2. Give a quick vacuum of the main floors and carpets in the house (just seeing the vacuum trails on the carpets will make people think everything is always nice and tidy)
3. Wipe down your bathroom sink and faucet. It really makes a difference.
4. Stack all magazines and papers. It doesn't matter where you stack them, just stack them. Looks better than having the scattered all over the house
5. Put lemon slices in a bowl of water and stick them in the microwave for 5 minutes OR get a spray bottle and fill half with water and the other with vinegar and spray in the air. Both will get rid of any lingering smells from cooking or wet dogs.
Presto! Your house look presentable and smells nice. You don't have to hang your head in shame!