Monday, September 13, 2010

Brownies!!

I made these brownies yesterday and they were SO yummy!

I forgot to take a picture of them though. I was too busy eating them.

I'm finally coming out of my brownie coma so I thought that I'd share the recipe.

In a pot over medium heat melt 1/3 cup butter, 4oz semisweet baking chocolate and 2oz 70% Cocoa chocolate, both chopped (For the 70% I like to use the Lindt dark chocolate bars, 6 squares equals 2oz). Use a whisk to stir it around while it is melting to 1. keep it from burning and 2. help the chocolate melt.

Once it is all melted together, take it off the burner and let it cool for 10 minutes. This is really important because if it is too hot when you add the other ingredients the brownies will turn out way too dense and sticky.

Once cool, add 3/4 cup sugar, 2 eggs, 3tsp vanilla or 2tsp rum. Whisk until everything is well mixed. If you want to add nuts (I love walnuts) add them now. I don't measure this, but do it by eye. Then slowly add 1/2 cup flour mixed and a pinch of salt with a spoon (one spoonful at a time is what I do), stirring to get all lumps broken.

Put in to an 8 by 8 greased metal pan. I grease with butter. For some reason I find it does a better job at making sure these brownies don't stick to the pan. Bake in 350C stove for 20-25 minutes, centre rack. Stick a toothpick in the centre to make sure it is cooked through. Let cool in pan on a rack. If you take them out too soon they will fall apart. The waiting is the hardest part (great song).

These are very dense brownies. If you want a lighter, more cakey type of brownie, whisk 1/4 tsp baking powder in to the flour before adding it to the chocolate mixture. It adds a bit more air to the batter, makes it rise more.

If you want a less rich, more milky brownie, use 2oz milk chocolate instead of 70%.

Enjoy!!


I might have to go make another batch...

Cheers,
Marina

No comments:

Post a Comment