Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Organization Gone Wrong

During the office organization project, I organized my filing cabinets.

It took a long long LONG time because there were bills in there from 1998 and some high school essays. Not Joking. It was full of stuff that needed to be thrown out. You can fit a lot of stuff in to this thing.

Photobucket

I also created nice little tabs and put the remaining stuff in folders.

Photobucket

Nicely divided, nicely organized.

Photobucket

I was feeling really proud. And feel proud every time I go in looking for something and find it.

Until today.

I am working on learning how to use my camera. It's three years old and I think it is about time I figured out what all these dang buttons mean.

So I go to the manual section to pull out my manual.

I look and look, but to no avail. It isn't in there.

And then I remember.

While I was sorting everything out, I faintly remember having the manual in my hand and thinking that I should put this manual in a different spot. Somewhere that would make total sense.

Apparently just for that split second though because I can't find it anywhere.

And I know that I can download it from the canon website, but that isn't the point of this post.

My point is this.

When you think of a fancy new place to file or place something, that is not with all it's friends, stop and think again, and then put it where it really belongs.

You'll be tempted to create new and thoughtful groups of things. You are all eager and energetic and the world of organization will suck you in. You'll do things you think you'll remember you did.

And then when you go to find the thing that you need, when you look where all the others are located, you'll remember.

It is somewhere else.

Organization gone wrong.

It can happen to the best of us :)

This little guy looks like he knows something I don't.

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment