Saturday, October 9, 2010

Apple Berry Crisp / Crumble

Here is my tasty Apple Berry Crisp recipe.  My mom just called up in need of a fast dessert for her guests tonight so I whipped this up.  It really is super fast, not at all like those fast Rachel Ray recipes (Deb, that was for you!)

Photobucket

I use quick oats and margarine when I make this because I usually make this when a craving hits.  You can use normal oats and softened butter if you have the time, but increase the baking by 20 minutes, keeping a close eye on it.  I also use butter when I'm preparing it to freeze for later because it takes to the freezer better.

Also, if you are using frozen berries, run them under warm water in a colander and let them sit to drain while you cut the apples. I'm all about fast and frozen berries taste just as good as fresh.


Ingredients


6 small, 4 medium or three big apples, any kind
4 cups mixed berries OR one package frozen mixed berries
2 1/2 table spoons corn starch
 
2 cups quick rolled oats (not instant)
2/3 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup softened butter or margarine
2 tsp cinnamon 

Peel, core and thinly slice the apples.  Put in to a large bowl. Add the berries and toss with the corn starch until well coated. If you think you might need more corn starch, go ahead and add some more.  The corn starch keeps the fruit from getting too runny.  This is especially important for the berries because they have so much water in them. Nothing ruins my day like a runny berry crumble.


Mix the crumble ingredients in a different bowl with your fingers until you have a moist, almost spreadable mixture.  I don't like my crumble to crumble, I like it to be crisp.  If you think it is too moist, add in a few more oats and brown sugar. 


Put the berry mixture in a casserole dish and spread the crisp on top. Bake at 375C for 40-50 minutes, or until the crisp has browned and the apples/berries are bubbling a bit at the edges.



Cheers!
Marina

2 comments:

  1. that looks delish and really pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It tastes even better than it looks :D Especially with french vanilla ice cream

    ReplyDelete