Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Book Review - Twenties Girl by Sophie Kinsella

Photobucket

If you like Sophie Kinsella, one of her more recent books, Twenties Girl, delivers.

Twenties Girl follows Lara on a crusade with her dead aunt to find her aunt's necklace, something she apparently needs to cross over to the other side.  Of course, in classic Kinsella style, the hit many bumps and kerfuffles along the way making for many laughs and chuckles though out the book.

I love Kinsella's style of writing, very honest and clear cut, often allowing her characters to say the exact things that we keep in our heads.  It is a good read, simple to follow with no confusing plots or characters.  Not to say that her characters don't have any complexities, but you understand the personality behind each charater right as they are introduced.

It is always so easy to create a picture in my head of the characters Sophie Kinsella creates.  Her descriptions are detailed, but leave enough for your imagination to finish it off on your own.  Actually, her ability to describe her characters is one of the things that totally turned me off the Confessions of a Shopaholic movie, because Isla Fisher isn't anything the way I thought Becky was.

As a true fan of the Shopaholic series Kinsella pens, Lara is a character cut from the same cloth as Becky Bloomwood. I find her to have the same off the wall schemes, often resulting from the growing list of lies she finds herself telling.  At first, I did find it hard to separate the two characters (Becky and Lara), because of their similarity, and I often had to remind myself that I wasn't reading a Shopaholic book.  I went straight from Mini Shopaholic to Twenties Girl and I think I should have taken a bread with a different author because of the similarities.

Over all, a great read and if you like rom-com-chick-lit, this will be a book for you.

1 comment:

  1. I always love a good book! I'll keep this one in mind next time I'm at Barnes & Noble. :-)

    ReplyDelete