Wednesday, August 4, 2010

How things are changing at home

While listening to my son play the other day, I realized that all the changes I've made to the way we live has changed the way the other family members function in our home.

1. I haven't seen a dirty work sock on any of my floors in a very long time. I don't know how long exactly, but it has been a while. Nice :)

2. My son was putting away his toys and was just talking away to himself and his sister and I heard him say this "See! If you put the toys back in this basket you find them next time. Hmm, I don't know where this tractor goes. Better put it with my farm because it matches." He went on like this for a good ten minutes, telling her all about where the toys go and what toys he was putting away. Much better than the bulldozer method he used before (he called it bulldozing, not me).

3. I don't feel the strain I used to feel when organizing things. The daily tasks are done without much thought anymore and new tasks are added with less pain.

4. I have relaxed A LOT when it comes to getting the chores done. While I still like to get everything done, I'm not as hard on myself as I was at the beginning.

5. Being more organized at home has allowed me to explore other interests in my life and enjoy them again.

6. I will admit that the house does look lived in now, and not the pristine house it was at the beginning of this project. But things are organized and have a place, which makes things so much easier and nicer to look at. No more piles of magazines, toys have a place, laundry is put away, books are on the shelf. It is really nice.

I have been putting off picking the next room because we are in the process of putting the kids in one room (and thankfully Anna will be out of my room). So I've been doing organizing around that, moving furniture, organizing toys, but because I can't pull a chapter out of the book for that, there is going to be a few weeks of random cleaning.

The order of the rooms after the big switch:

Bathroom
Bedroom
Kids Room

I'm not sure where I'm going to go after that because, well, I'm not sure how long those rooms will take. Maybe if my youngest starts napping more than an hour at a time, I might actually be able to get something done!

I also wanted to mention that I will be taking this blog in to another direction as well. What I have realized is that while this is a blog about getting my house organized, so much happens in my life that I want to share, that I'm going to start sharing those events as well. After all, I am changing myself, and a very big part of that includes the members of this family.

AND, now that I have all this new physical space, my brain has opened up and I actually have complete thoughts. And I can organize them and put them on paper! (or computer screen?) So I hope to share some of them with you as well.

Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment